Friday, April 24, 2020

U : Umbrella, A Pair of Formal Shoes & That Suitcase #AtoZChallenge2020


The black formal shoes stomped about in Umesh's closet. Angrily!
The jaded blue umbrella lying in the corner, stifled a yawn and ignored this tantrum.
The blue, classy suitcase, as usual was sleeping on the top shelf of the closet.

"It has been 30 days", shouted the pair of shoes oblivious to the discomfort it was causing to the suitcase. The blue suitcase was the newest member in this closet and it usually kept to itself. The commotion made by the shoes, woke it up, but it kept pretending to sleep. 

"Hmmm!", said the umbrella. Umbrella was considered the wisest in this closet. Though it was a pretty standard 'Hmmm', everyone in the closet thought it was full of wisdom, unknown to them. 

"30 days since I went out! Umesh has never done this to me before. These days, all he wears is his stupid bathroom slippers," the shoes whined.  

"I haven't seen sunlight or rains for months now. I think rains are still two months away", the umbrella spoke calmly. 

"Don't you get bored? May be you are used to getting neglected by Umesh. But for me it is a new experience. Till a month ago he used to shine me daily. Now I lie here in a corner gathering dust. Those damn slippers - they are plastic. I am the real deal", the pair of shoes retorted sharply. 

The umbrella knew that there was hard truth in what shoes said. But come rains, Umesh can't do without it. Though it never gets to see his office, like the black pair does and is usually left outside drying. It also doesn't get to travel with Umesh like the suitcase does. But umbrella had the wisdom to understand that it has a purpose to serve and it is very good in it. "Hmmm!", umbrella responded. 

"And why is Umesh not going out of the home anyway? Is there a curfew outside? I don't like this 'Work-from-Home' drama which he started a month back. He doesn't even wear his socks now. I used to really like the pink ones that he wore on Fridays. They were so soft. My insides used to get excited seeing them. You know I really have had some dirty thoughts about the pink socks in past. Also I really liked that grassy, muddy, sticky patch in the parking lot of his office. Every time he stepped into it, he used to get agitated, but the warmth and moistness of the mud really touched my soul. Every time, I tell you", the shoes kept on blabbering. "Tell me what is the most exciting thing you have done", the shoes asked the umbrella.

Normally the umbrella would remain silent when asked such stupid questions, but today it was in a giving mood. "When I was relatively new and my blue was like that of a bright sunny sky, Umesh used to lend me to his office colleague at times. She was a beautiful lady and her hands were so soft. And she really used to take great care of me. Sometimes I miss that kind of love. But then Umesh has had me for years now. His colleagues generally change their umbrellas every season", the umbrella replied and the mood in the closet turned somber. 

The suitcase couldn't control itself anymore. It jumped into the conversation from the top shelf. "You guys give too much importance to your owner. We shouldn't get attached to such things. We all know they care for us only till the time we serve their needs. Learn to live happily with what you have. And this Umesh! What should I say about him! I have seen him naked. He changes clothes in front of me every time we stay in a hotel together. And his laptop bag and I share naughty glances every time he does that. I mean he isn't that great. Typical dad-bod", the suitcase guffawed.

"Hmmm!", said the umbrella and this time everyone started laughing. 

---

Previous Challenges : Letter U



4 comments:

Joy Weese Moll said...

This is fun and funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Charan Deep Singh said...

Joy thanks 😊

Ishwinder said...

Really funny . Reading to this post I have started missing conversation between my friends!!!lol!!!

Charan Deep Singh said...

Thanks. Call your friends.