Monday, April 15, 2019

M : Minorities Representation in Hindi Films / Bollywood #AtoZChallenge 2019

Have you heard of Bechdel test? Wikipedia defines it like this -  "It is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added. Passing or failing the test is not necessarily indicative of how well women are represented in any specific work. Rather, the test is used as an indicator for the active presence of women in the entire field of film and other fiction, and to call attention to gender inequality in fiction." 

For the purpose of this post when I was trying to find an equivalent test for minorities, this is what I came across - A simplified version by the writer Nikesh Shukla, proposed in 2013, asks if "two ethnic minorities talk to each other for more than five minutes about something other than race."

If I apply it to representation of minorities in Hindi Films or in Bollywood, I think one must add two more conditions. 

Are minorities shown only to generate few laughs at their cost? Example : Gays shown in movies only to create humor.

Are minorities shown in stereotypical roles to further the story of the film? Example: A Sikh taxi driver as the helpful guy who gives leading lady a ride in the time of trouble. He is shown as this good Samaritan always, never a hero though. 

I believe Hindi Films have largely been dishonest in representation of minorities of any kind. Whether it is religious minorities or sexual minorities. Reprehensibly they have even represented people with disabilities with the sole purpose of making fun of them or on other extreme make us pity them. 

Though film-makers in last decade have become more sensitive and are more careful about this issue, the deeply rooted biases still come out. I would be very happy if the cliches related to minorities in Hindi films are done away with for good. I have Gujarati friends, and they are not all misers. I know few Parsee people and they speak normally. I am a Sikh myself and I don't break into a Bhangra and hug people just like that. I had a gay colleague and didn't come to know about it from his body language or dressing sense. He simply told me. 

So here are scenes from two of my favorite films which represented minorities normally. These films don't try to spoof them. They don't play on the dominant stereotypes of these minorities. First is from the movie Rocket Singh Salesman of the Year. The protagonist here is a Sikh. But his religious identity had nothing to do with the plot of the film. (Watch from 1:10 to 1:54) The second is from the movie Kapoor & Sons. One of the leading protagonists is a gay and that representation is done in a matter of fact way through the film. The story won't change even if he was not a gay. 



I just hope next time when I write about this subject, more such films come to my mind. 




2 comments:

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Representation matters a lot! And in the film industry, chance seems to be very slow... but at least people are calling it out :)
Nice theme!

The Multicolored Diary

Charan Deep Singh said...

Thanks "A Tarkabarka Holgy"