Monday, April 06, 2020

E : Entertain / Engage / Enrich during Lockdown #AtoZChallenge2020

In current times, it is very natural for us to feel anxious or scared. It is easy to get into a dark zone when things are so gloomy. In fact on the third night after this lockdown was executed, I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep that night. My mind was largely blank, but I couldn't sleep. I have had this feeling before - the anxiety, the palpitations. Classic symptoms of that youthful love, when she had gone away from your life. When you feel, that your world is going to end. Only this time, it feels more tangible and more real. 

After that night, my mind eased a bit. It is not that I feel things have improved outside. But one has to make peace with this new normal. In today's post I am going to talk about three E's that have kept me in good spirits since that night, despite reading about doomsday scenarios daily. Hope some of these things help you too. 

E : Entertain

Do something daily to keep yourself entertained. I have been avoiding dark films or web series that I normally like a lot. Music is something which always lifts my spirits. Especially Punjabi songs. So I watch all peppy songs of Diljit Dosanjh, Sunanda Sharma, Ammy Virk and Sharry Mann, on repeat mode, for some time daily. And their music videos are fun too. But my current favorite is this song by Bilal Saeed and Momina Mustehsan titled Baari (Window). The lyrics are beautiful, almost profound. And their silken voices so soothing. The video is very earthy too, that reminds me of my home town. Watch the video below. The song actually kicks in after a minute or so in the video. Do write in comments to tell me what are you doing to keep yourself entertained. 


E : Engage

Work from Home can be stressful for a person like me who can't switch off easily. At the same time for others it could be a temptation to do away with their disciplined routines. Both problems have to be dealt through engagement. Ensure you meaningfully engage with your work and your colleagues even in these times. So keep your working hours as if you are in office. Also replicate water cooler breaks you take in office. Every day I do a non-work related call with one of my colleagues. It helps me feel sane. Also engage with your friends / family more than usual. I am video calling my parents more times than earlier. They make me feel, as if everything is normal. 

I also took up this blogging challenge, so that in my free time, I am more worried about putting the daily post up, than worrying about the uncontrollable things. I would love to know your methods to keep yourself engaged. Tell me in the comments section. 

E : Enrich

Enrich your body! Enrich your soul! One should follow this maxim even in usual times. But in these times I feel it is even more important. But don't stress if you are not learning a new skill, or doing meditation. If something stresses you, then most probably it will not enrich you.  Ensure you eat healthy food and walk / exercise if possible. I am walking frequently for some time on my building's roof top. I also continue to read as usual for about 30 minutes a day. My current read is Jaya - An Illustrated Retelling of The Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik. It is a good time to read about mythology. About Karma. About miracles. It is not a taxing read and at the same time it is not fluff. 


I wish everyone good times ahead. Entertaining, Engaging and Enriching times too. 




11 comments:

Dr Genevive Angela said...

I liked the words you used, in relation to lock down. Entertain, engage and enrich. Agree with all that you have written. I try to listen to my favorite songs- kishore kumar hits, sharukhan's popular songs, lataji etc.. I take calls from students who are in distress, try some new recipe, walk, stretch, and blog. I make it a point to rise up with gratitude and rest with gratitude before I sleep.

Rose said...

Wonder you being a movie buff..not talking about or actually not watching new movies releases especially in Netflix and all other channels :) as mentioned in your entertain section

Charan Deep Singh said...

Yes gratitude is really important in all times. And especially during these times

Charan Deep Singh said...

May be movies deserve a separate post. Last year whole Challenge was about films. 26 posts on films. But Rose how do you know I am a movie buff

Joy Weese Moll said...

Good advice! I'm also enjoying a nonfiction e-book that seems to be just the right level of engaging but not fluff -- The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker.

Charan Deep Singh said...

Thanks for the recco

Sneha said...

Great insights...upgrade skills,reading a good book, meditate,the best is to climb stairs. Charan sir,your post inspired me to used climb upstairs.I actually went to climbed upstairs till 7 floors. Feeling energetic.....kudos

Charan Deep Singh said...

Thanks Sneha

Sneha said...

Great insights...upgrade skills,reading a good book, meditate,the best is to climb stairs. Charan sir,your post inspired me to climb upstairs and I climbed till 7 floors. Feeling energetic.....kudos

Ishwinder said...

I am busy most of the time in kitchen fulfilling your food demands. Aj eh bana de..aj eh bana de.Also making you eat vegetables which you would never like to eat in normal course of time lol!!!

Charan Deep Singh said...

yes, ishwinder, chicken craving big time