Monday, April 20, 2020

Q : Quotidian Tasks / Trends #AtoZChallenge2020

In week two of the lockdown, I started seeing a lot of pictures, like the one below, on my Instagram and Facebook feeds. This is called Dalgona Coffee. No! No! It is called #Dalgonacoffee. Hashtags are important these days. They describe things that catch our fancy on the given day.


Initially I read it as Dal do na coffee (pour me some coffee). May be I was too caffeine starved, due to work related Zoom calls the whole day and I needed some. Anyway, I had some tea and then noticed that it was indeed Dalgona Coffee.  My curiosity got piqued. How come this popular coffee is not available at Starbucks? But the answer was right there in the name of the coffee. Dalgona is so easy to pronounce. Unlike Frappuccino! After all Starbucks is not just about coffee, but also about a certain experience - mispronouncing the names of its customers and having tongue-twisters on their menu. But my thoughts kept wandering. I had to understand what was so special about this coffee. Then I found out it was a normal coffee, which my mother used to whip up, when I was a child. But now it had a fancy name. So thus my friends, I discovered how an everyday beverage, a quotidian task became a trend. 

As the drabness of our real lives caused by this lockdown, made our social media feeds less attractive, we had to find ways, to keep our virtual avatars active. We no longer had the luxury of posting pictures from our holidays, weekend restaurant visits etc. So every damn daily errand, every ordinary activity of our lives and every quotidian task we perform had now a potential to become a trend if packaged well. Here are some of the #lockdowntrends that made my eyes pop out, not because of the trendiness of the trends, but because of sheer gumption of these tasks to masquerade as trends. 

#Dalgonacoffee - I have already expressed above, how skeptical I was about this one.

#Safehandschallenge - While I understand the importance of washing hands, but if this task was not part of your daily lives earlier, I am not amused. Also when celebrities post videos of such challenges, they shoot it in their luxurious and classy rest rooms. When you do it, we can see that stinky throne behind you. 

#OnlineAntakshari - Give me a break! We are not on a bus ride going for a picnic! And why are you so dressed up when you are at home while singing this song?

#ChallengeAccepted - It started off well with theme of women empowerment. But then it turned into a #sareechallenge. How was it even a lockdown challenge? Wasn't this saree trend, trending few months back and a month before that too?

So what are the trends last few weeks that caught your fancy? Share with me in comments space, while I fix for my self a #dalgonapeg with my Black Label.

---

Previous Challenges : Letter Q



2 comments:

Sneha said...

Latte far more better than Dalgona.

My exp with Dalgona was like -Uchee dukaan Fikke pakwaan.

Lolz

Charan Deep Singh said...

Sneha - yes... Agree